April is officially Earth Month, but we like to think every day is earth day in Irvine!
National Mayor's Water Challenge
Support the City of Irvine and take the Wyland National Mayor’s Challenge for Water Conservation – Take Pledge & Chance to Win Prizes!
Kits for Kids Program ($1,000 Grants)
The Southern California Regional Energy Network (SoCalREN) in partnership with the City of Irvine is supporting Kits for Kids Program for 3rd & 4th grade students to introduce energy efficiency and how it can help their families save money and improve their comfort and safety at home. Students perform an interactive scavenger hunt and receive energy-efficient items at no cost that can help their families save energy and money. Visit Program Website
IUSD Sustainability Poster Contest for K-12
IUSD’s sustainability team is hosting the District’s annual Earth Day Student Poster Contest, which is open to all IUSD students (K-12). This year’s theme is “Invest In Our Planet: Act, Innovate, Implement.” Posters can be up to 12”x18” in size and should highlight actions that can make a difference.
Winning posters will be displayed on the District’s website and social media sites. Student artwork will be evaluated based on originality, message impact and visual appeal.
Entries can be emailed, mailed or dropped off to:
Attn: Jennifer Razo, Sustainability Supervisor
Earth Day Poster Contest
100 Nightmist, Irvine, CA 92608
Submissions close on Monday, April 25
Please be sure to include your student’s name, school, grade and teacher’s name on all entries.
Click here to view the 2021 winning posters.
The 2022 contest flier is available for download.
Cool Block Program
How the Cool Block Program Works
- A group of 5 to 8 households on your block or building meet 9 times over 4-½ months
- Different team members host each topic in their home every two weeks with the support of a Topic Meeting Guide.
- The meetings last 1.5 to 2-hours and focus on disaster resiliency, carbon reduction, water stewardship, neighborhood livability and empowering others.
- Between meetings, participants work with their household and block to take action.
- The meetings follow a three-part rhythm. Review actions taken, share new actions to be taken, review the following topic.
That’s it! Everything you need to do is on the easy-to-use Cool Block website.
Note: If you wish to be a Cool Block leader, you will receive comprehensive training, tools and coaching support.